COST SAVING TIPS
10 Minute Pre-Trip Checkup Can Pay Off
A properly maintained vehicle is safer and more dependable and will even save a few dollars at the gas pumps. Motorists should plan ahead to allow time to perform necessary maintenance themselves or at the local service facility.
Car Care Council offers three suggestions for a traveler's 10-minute pre- trip checklist:
- Check all fluids - There are several fluids that require attention: Engine Oil, power steering, brake and transmission fluids, and windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
- Check all hoses and belts - A belt failure can affect the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering, and the cooling system. Cooling system hoses may be deteriorating from within, so old hoses and clamps in marginal condition might need to be replaced.
- Check the tires - Check tire inflation and inspect the tread for uneven wear, indicating the need for wheel alignment. Also look for bulges and bald spots.
Follow these tips to maximize fuel efficiency of your vehicle:
- Vehicle gas caps - about 17% of the vehicles on the roads have gas caps that are either damaged, loose or missing altogether, causing 147 million gallons of gas to vaporize every year.
- Under inflated tires - when tires aren't inflated properly it's like driving with a parking brake on. It can cost a mile or two per gallon.
- Worn spark plugs - A vehicle can have either four, six or eight spark plugs, which fire as many as 3 million times every 1,000 miles, resulting in electrical and chemical erosion from heat.
- Dirty air filters - A clogged air filter creates a "rich" mixture - the proportion of gas to air is incorrect. This wastes fuel and causes the engine to lose power. Replacing a clogged air filter can improve gas mileage by as much as 10%.
- Don't drive aggresively - Aggressive driving can lower gas mileage by as much as 33% on the highway and 5% on city streets.
- Avoid excessive idling - sitting idle gets zero miles per gallon. Letting the vehicle warm up for one to two minutes is sufficient.
- Drive the speed limit - Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. Each mile driven over 60 results in an additional 10 cents per gallon. Increase fuel efficiency by using cruise control.
Discover More About Prices and Repair Services At Genesis Auto Service in Covina
Mark and Craig are amazing. They were able to squeeze me into their very busy schedule and get my car running in less than 4 hours. They are helpful, honest and quick. Would recommend to anyone.
Ken Hanson, 05/15/2022
Mark Soto was the best person I've ever talked to there. He's a very smart man! He definitely deserves a HUGE raise.
Destiny Soto, 02/20/2022
Been coming here for quite some time now, about 3 years, and have took multiple vehicles here now. Started off buying Amsoil from them and built a relationship with them since. Mark is very friendly and knowledgeable as well as Carl, Mark provides great customer service every time over the phone and in person and Carl as well as customer service also provides good quality work if not great. Take all my cars here from Oil changes(Engine, Transmission, Gear, etc.) and suspension work. They are very knowledgeable and honest, and let's all be honest it's very hard finding a reliable, knowledgeable, and HONEST mechanic that provides quality work and gives you piece of mind. Took my car in for a trans flush and I pointed out some suspension noise that NOONE else, No other shop could figure out the noises point of origin and Carl and his team found it in less than 5 minutes, gave me a price and they took care of it. I could hear the noise anytime I drove, it was very audible from inside and outside and it was embarrassing and annoying, dealt with it for a while and Carl's crew took care of me and my car and gave me piece of mind again. I appreciate you fellas, I'm a life long customer now, thanks to Mark, Carl and Pedro and Genesis Automotive. Highly recommended. Very trust worthy. Call ahead to see if they are available and not booked up so that you don't make the trip only to find that they don't have time to take your car in and leave you with a bad taste of them over your poor planning and leave them a bad review because of your own fault. Make an appointment and I promise it's worth the wait.
Christopher Ballesteros, 11/01/2021